The summer months are upon us and it’s time to start enjoying our garden harvests! Today, I experimented with an eggplant parmesan recipe that is baked, not fried. The result was just as I’d hoped, a wholesome and satisfying meal without all the extra fat from the frypan.
Since I only had 1 eggplant from the garden, I made a mini version of the recipe today. If you are in the same boat, I’ll give you a few tips at the end to make it easier.
Easy Baked Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 Eggplants
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs I used Panko
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- Basil optional
- Parchment Paper or Olive Oil/Cooking Spray
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise. 6-8 slices per eggplant depending on the size of the vegetable.
- Sprinkle salt on both sides. This removes any bitterness & dries it out a little so the eggplant doesn’t become mushy. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Dab the eggplant with a paper towel to remove excess salt. It may also be rinsed under cold water, then dried with paper towels. Remove all excess moisture.
- Lightly dust the eggplant with flour.
- Dip in the beaten eggs.
- Coat the eggplant with breadcrumbs.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a bit of olive oil) to prevent sticking.
- Bake in a preheated oven. (350 degrees) 10 minutes each side, flipping once.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce in a baking dish.
- Create 2 layers of eggplant, cheese, then marinara sauce
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Add chopped basil from the garden if available.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish with the fresh basil.
How to Make the Two Serving Variation
To make the 2 serving variation, you can still use a full-size pan to bake the dish. After baking, simply stack one half on top of each other to create 2 layers.
Here is how I did it. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom, then layer:
– All of the eggplant slices
– A light dusting of cheese
– Marinara sauce – enough to cover the eggplant
– Sprinkle the remaining cheese on one side.
After baking cut the dish in half. Using 2 spatulas scoop up the cheesy side and stack on the sauce side. Garnish & serve!
Simplified Directions with Photos
A deliciously easy baked eggplant parmesan recipe – so good & just 375 calories per serving!